While replete with non sequitur snippets of pure insanity, stanzas of very bad but entertaining poetry, introspective therapeutic analyses peeling back the layers of my psyche and revealing the inner core of my being, dreamtime musings and goal-setting that inspire and motivate me to pursue higher aims and achieve ever greater accomplishments, self-reflective blurbs of insight that are so ridiculous as to be meaningless or so meaningless as to be ridiculous, observations pedestrian and grandiose on any and everything showcasing the diarrhea-ist’s eclectic interests, and, of course, the hum-drum recording of events, happenings, doings, feelings, comings and goings of quotidian existence, my journals have always served as a sounding board to expound on the injustices of life; a frothing forum to let ‘er rip on oft-scathing, choleric, sclerotic, neurotic and rascally irascible viewpoints; where a blank page becomes a repository of rage; a depository of peevish doubt carrying zero clout; but where I can rail, hold forth, bloviate and blow off all the steam I want on the myriad injustices of life. My journals – my private bully pulpit for bashing of all things WRONG IMMORAL INDECENT and BACKWARDS with humanity, society, culture, and politics. Here are few favorite rants and raves.
Giving Thanks and Praise and Other Controvertible Evidence of the Good Life
Ah, yes, so much to be thankful for! I say this in parallel facetiousness and earnest seriousness – because on the other hand, we have absolutely nothing to be thankful for.
We are fucking privileged human beings, especially those fortunate multiple millions of us who are lucky enough to have been born white (or near-white) Europeans and Americans; we who lack for nothing and suffer not a whit compared to 4/5 of the “wretched of the earth.” We who have everything in the world to be thankful for, yes, owing primarily to said vast legions of invisible, marginalized underdogs, outcasts, and grunt workers/slaves upon whose blood, sweat and tears the US-dominated world economy grinds its gears. Yeah, go ahead and give thanks and praise for such high, comfortable standards of living – but at the expense of the planet’s ecosystem and people! Yeah, go ahead and give thanks and praise for the peace, prosperity, health and happiness we all “equally” enjoy.
Peace? Hah! Wars and violent skirmishes rage on four continents. Murder and mayhem reign unchecked in the US. Racial and religious tensions continue to stir a deadly brew around the globe. Nazis, Klansmen, Big Bad Mad Rednecks, ruthless international terrorists, gay-bashers, and free-spirit smashers abound. The lion ain’t lyin’ down with the lamb anytime soon.
Health? Hah! Over 500,000 will die this year from smoking-related illnesses. The costs to treat sickness from a meat-related diet exceed $60,000,000,000 a year. AIDS took a higher toll this year than ever worldwide. New, mysterious diseases are appearing: ADD/CFS/ETC. Society is medicated, drugged, hypnotized by electromagnetic waves of high-tech gimcrack imagery – in Japan, some teens went into apopleptic shock while watching an animated toon.
Happiness? Hah! Depression and suicide reign unchecked. Divorce rates are high. Isolation and despair and hopelessness abound in a spiritually starved society. Money rules; all else is for fools.
Prosperity? Hah! The gulf between the haves and the have-nots has never been wider. Truly, the rich get richer and the poor – well, the poor can only get poorer. Something is terribly wrong with the moral economics of a world that allows 40,000 children to die every day of hunger, that allows profits to be taken over harmonious stewardship of redwood forests, oceans, mountains, that allows a tiny percentage of the humanity to hoard and squander the vast share of precious world resources.
How far from barbarism have we come is not the question. It’s how far has barbarism gone from us? Judging from the state of the world in 1999 in which we are poised to cede to the children of the New Millennium, on both counts we as a species have a long way to go.
Yeah, give your thanks and praise – but just remember, life costs nothing for those who truly cherish it, and it is indeed priceless.
(From 1998 – 2000: For Meditations, Positive Vibrations, Heartfelt Visions)
John Lennon Killed 8 Years Ago
My hero was gunned down by bullets fired from an alleged crazy, lone psychopath acting in vindictive fury directed at this man “more famous than Jesus Christ” – for complex, screwball karmic reasons involving his love for Jody Foster. I don’t believe it for a sec that Mark David Chapman did it wholly independently. I believe, in the best of my conspiratorial inquiries, that he was selected by the CIA as a likely psychopath assailant, was relieved of his faculties and good senses by their nefarious hypnotic engagements of brainwashing, drug injecting and so on, and was instructed to eliminate Lennon as part of their ongoing extermination of dangerous, peace-loving musicians, politicians, revolutionaries. Sounds loopy, I know, but all of history is a lie and a conspiracy – a piracy, rather, of the natural course of events taken into custody by the self-appointed and self-anointed guardians of history. Lennon’s death comes one year before Bob Marley’s, another great revolutionary songwriter and dynamic performer and aggregator of the power of the people, loved by millions worldwide, who doubtlessly was offed by the CIA or some TonTon Macoute-like equivalent. Anyway, think about it! The strange, violent and frequent deaths of revolutionaries and visionaries by supposedly natural circumstances of freakish isolated causes does not sit right with how I reckon the world is run.
(From 1988 – 1989: Legacy Of T. M. McGuire & His Heart In Upheaval (Memoirs Of A Reincarnated Life Of An Earthly Avatar)
On the State of the Earth
Earths go and come, but the Universe abides. Nothing humans do to the earth will matter once the doubly sapient bipeds go the way of 99% of most species that have ever existed: extinct, stincting.
On the Rodney King Verdict
The blatant racism of the case is the Emperor without clothes in the parading of our false, self-deluding democratic pageantry.
On the Origins of the Universe
Scientists have just deciphered the Rosetta Stone of cosmology, detecting radiation billions of years old that resulted from the Big Bang explosion of nonenergy/matter at the Singularity time 15 billion (plus or minus a few years) ago…it does appear that before this event, nothing existed, and out of nothing, as in quantum particle collisions, creation emerged….a belief in God fails to quell the astonishment of this realization – that it just as easily might not have happened or ever happen again.
On Capital Punishment
Do I believe in capital punishment? You bet! Death to all 7th and 8th graders! OK, jokes aside, hell no! What kind of duplicitous, perverted insanity is this anyway, to say it’s all right to murder someone who murdered someone?
(From 1991 1992: Extemporaneous Radical Acts Of Journalcraft As Personal Empowerment (Or Heavy Mettle)
Election Day Note to Barbara Dudley, Executive Director of Greenpeace
. . .while I agree with your honorable position to save and protect more of our Cetacean friends of the sea, I can’t help but condescend toward the widely-accepted notion held by so many that “all” and “other” marine species (dolphins, stellar sea lions, turtles) are somehow more deserving of special concern and protection than tuna! Naturally, once we equate a living, sentient being with “renewable protein sources” then that being, like dogs in Southeast Asia or hogs in Southeast USA, or whales in Japan and Norway, becomes a mere commodity, a thing to harvest, kill, eat. Rather than ever seeing or accepting tuna as wonderful, free-soul swimmers and companions of dolphins, they are viewed as food sources, therefore less ethical importance is placed on the act of killing them. What short-sighted compassion! If only people turned to plant sources for renewable protein – no dolphins or tuna!
Thanks, W.H. Auden, for the Constant Reminder – to OVERCOME BULLSHIT!
We would rather be ruined than changed;
We would rather die in our dread
Than climb the cross of the moment
And let our illusions die.
Just A Little Unheard Spiel
This planet’s priorities, plans, projections, and pronouncements are plainly plumb-mad! We’re headed into some rough times ahead. . .socially, geologically, spiritually. Let us emulate our Ancestral Pueblo People predecessors who perfected harmonious relationships on earth with one another, the plants and animals, rocks and trees, and so evolved to the spiritual non-material Fifth World of eternal peace, harmony and blissful beingness, leaving behind strifeful earth-bound ways of war, hatred, bigotry, violence, arrogance, greed. . .
Why, when it comes to diet, are people so selectively, single-mindedly opposed to the truth underlying the horrors of what they are consuming?
Why, when it comes to doing or not doing, acting or not acting, to realizing potential and effectuate change, are people content to go about their dull little routines and petty lives of quiet desperation?
I have a million more questions – but why question anything at all if no one cares about the answer?
Why The World’s In The State It’s In (Part I)
Why? Because of excessive greed, arrogance, selfishness, stupidity, pride, ego, envy, discordance, dissonance, imbalance, and remarkably little truth and honesty and simplicity.
* Buddhist monks proclaiming the sanctity of eating animals because they’re not a “direct” party to the confinement, torture, abuse, grisly death and mutilation of a once-living sentient being, which the Great True Buddha considers an equal, be it a snail, an oak, or other non-human earthling, to the species atthe top of the predator / prey chain – MAN!
* The crushing bureaucrazy of UC Berkeley – the lies, half-truths, distortions, misinformation of it all; sniveling back-stabbing, shifty management, disheartened employees – “career- track” jobs hazardous to the health, happiness and harmony to hundreds of thousands of helpless, hapless human worker bees.
* We the taxpayers ought to rise up and protest vigorously the idiocy of what we’re forced to economically support – prisons, highways, military research projects, etc. etc. – what about our subsidization of the mega-billion dollar ginormous meat/dairy pharmaco-industrial complex’s devastating responsibility for a national sick bill of over $65,000,000,000 owing to disease and death caused by their products. (And smoking!)
* Racists cops, lying politicians, heartless CEOs incompetent bureaucrats and administrators, cheating and swindling government agencies, shameless barristers and corrupt systems.
* Cattle grazing; late CFC phasing; Schick and Bic; Shake ‘n Bake; little nature worship and spirit praising; casinos, lottery, sweepstakes and Wall Street – don’t forget the many legit scams of insurance!; AMA, ABA, KKK, CIA, DEA, MIA, MSA, FBI, CNN, CBS, LSMFT, NRA, NSA, NASA, RAM, WWW.COM, POW, MSG, BGH, PCP, USA. (RANCID ALPHABET SOUP)
Why The World’s In The State It’s In (Part II)
Why? Because of a regressive barbarism in mentality, and not an illuminative new paradigm of sanity and eco-harmony.
* French president Jacque Chaques Jirac presiding over nuclear testing in Pacific atolls while the rest of the civilized world (quote unquote) was observing the 50th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
* California democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein, baring an ignoble concession to the likes of the big MOFO capitalist slimeball from Texas who’s fighting to log out virgin north coast Sempervirens (redwood trees) groves – “always/forever alive” – Charles E. Hurwitz, chair of Maxxam, Inc., owner of Pacific Lumber….”They (the Sempervirens) are very remote. Very few people will ever see them in their lifetime.”
* Money being sucked out of education to build more prisons.
* A spate of red tides menacing coasting seas.
* US tobacco companies announcing to Congress their “discovery” that nicotine is not addictive.
* Silicon snake oil.
* 500,000 deaths a year from smoking, alcohol, prescription drugs – thousands and thousands dying yearly from toxic prescription drugs!
* One in six incarcerated in federal prisons for non-violent marijuana convictions serving longer sentences than rapists and murderers and child molesters!
* Proliferation worldwide of fast food establishments, to the detriment of world ecology, animal welfare, and human health.
No Fret, No Sweat, No Karmic Debt, Yet (known to have been uttered by the author)
From 1996 – 1997: What The Days Never Know. . .The Years Teach (The Jour-Annals Of A Diaritic Critic)